Wednesday, April 26, 2006

T2: Judgement Day...


.... and hedgehogs.

Just a reminder to those who follow my blog posts: April 30th is 'T2: Judgement Day', with the 'T' standing for 'Thesis' (and it's 'T2' because my MPhil dissertation, submitted in 1999, was 'T1'). So, very nearly there, and working very hard. I worked on Chapter 4 until 04-10 this morning, and will be doing the same tonight/tomorrow morning (albeit on different chapters of course). Trying very hard to resist the distraction caused by the hedgehog Erinaceus europaeus that has moved into our garden, and whom I caught rummaging through our rubbish Monday night (see photo). I never realised hedgehogs smelt so bad (the individuals I've handled previously didn't, maybe it's just this one). Anyway, back to work.

Oh yeah, when the thesis is finished there will be some kind of big night out. Do come along.

And for the latest news on Tetrapod Zoology do go here.

2 Comments:

Blogger Dr. Vector said...

At first I thought, "Wow! A hedgehog in your garden! All I get is a stupid opossum in my hedge and a big fat raccoon in the dumpster."

Then I remembered that you have neither native marsupials nor procyonids, and to you the hedgehog maybe the boring pest while 'possums and 'coons are exotic and cool.

In all likelihood, you _do_ have opossums and raccoons at large somewhere on your island, which is apparently the biogeographical equivalent of Holiday Inn.

And I doubt if you find hedgehogs boring. I actually think opossums are pretty cool. It's just sad that of all the possums in the world, we had to get the skankiest, butt-ugliest one of them all. And terribly photogenic, because I've never seen a picture of one that was half as hideous as they are in person. Seriously, if gonorrhea was a mammal, I'm pretty sure it would be Didelphis virginiana.

Heck, I'm going to go blog about my close encounters with opossums.

Good luck with the finishing. Your adoring public can wait a little longer for the promised bounty.

Cheers,

Matt

7:31 AM  
Blogger Darren Naish said...

Thanks for the comments Matt. On your 'All I get is a stupid opossum ... and raccoon' I initally thought you were being sarcastic, given that opossums and raccoons sound pretty exciting to me. But I'm not dissing the 'hogs, they're fascinating. Did you know they eat used sanitary towels? See: fascinating. Blog to come, one day.

We don't have feral opossums in the UK, but we do have raccoons at least sometimes. In fact some people think we have a breeding population.

Anyway, back to work. Was up until 05-00 again this morning.. and hence look more undead than usual.

12:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home